The methanol policy paper follows a six-year pilot program conducted by MIIT involving over 1,000 vehicles in 10 cities from 5 provinces to test and verify the technical issues associated with cars, trucks and buses operating on neat methanol or M100. The pilot fleet accumulated nearly 200 million kilometers of total mileage with 24,000 tons of methanol consumed. The pilot program included tests of vehicle fuel economy and emissions, along with the health of people in the working environment.
The policy paper encourages the broad commercial expansion of methanol-fueled vehicles in China from the central government with the following key policies:
- Encourage Development of Manufacturing Capabilities of Methanol Fueled Vehicles
- Promote Development of Production and Fueling Systems of Methanol
- Accelerate Development of Standards System
- Encourage Promotion of Methanol Fueled Vehicles
- Execute Emission Standards Firmly
- Other Promotional Measurements